Join us on Friday, June 25, 2021, 10 a.m. for NATIVE HEALTH’s free, monthly Read It and Eat online class on the NATIVE HEALTH Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nativehealthphoenix. We’ll read One Bean, by Anne Rockwell, and show you how to make Bean Tostada and Salsa with your children!
The first 20 Native Americans who sign up will receive, by mail a $10 Sprouts gift card. Our supplies are limited, so please register one person per one household:
Here’s the recipe if you want to follow along:
Bean Tostada and Salsa
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Napkins/paper towels
Bean Tostada ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 2 (6 in) hard corn tortillas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup pinto beans
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ lettuce
- Allow child to mash pinto beans with a fork and spread on top of tortilla.
- Have an adult chop lettuce and dice tomatoes.
- Put tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese on top of beans.
- Add salsa and enjoy!
Salsa ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp green bell pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp red onion (optional)
- Have an adult chop tomatoes and cilantro and dice green bell pepper.
- Put tomatoes, cilantro, and bell pepper into a bowl and allow child to mix. It is also optional to also chop an onion and add it.
- Add a pinch of salt as child is mixing and the juice of a lime.
- Taste and enjoy with tostada!
NATIVE HEALTH Read It and Eat is funded by Arizona Complete Health.