Join us on Friday, June 23, 2021, 10:00 a.m. for NATIVE HEALTH’s free, monthly Read It and Eat online class on the NATIVE HEALTH Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nativehealthphoenix. We’ll read The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood. You’ll also get to learn how to make American Flag Snack and Watermelon Corn Feta Salad with your children!
The first 21 Native Americans who sign up will receive, by mail a $10 Bashas gift card. Our supplies are limited, so please register one person per one household.
American Flag Snack (makes 1 serving)
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 3 strawberries
- 9 blueberries
- ½ banana
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of nut butter
- Have an adult slice the strawberries and bananas into semi circled slices
- Allow child to spread peanut butter on slice of bread. Allow child to place blueberries in top corner as stars and make alternating rows of strawberries and bananas as stripes.
- Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
Watermelon Corn Feta Salad
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 1 (11 ounce) can no salt added whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup baby arugula or other leafy greens
- ¼ cup crumbled reduced fat Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- In a medium bowl combine orange juice, orange peel and honey; gradually whisk in olive oil until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine diced watermelon, corn and arugula leaves. Toss with orange dressing. Sprinkle with Feta cheese and mint.
NATIVE HEALTH Read It and Eat is funded by Arizona Complete Health.